Monday, May 17, 2010

Wicker wrapped demijohn found!

Perhaps my biggest yard sale find ever --- a vintage demijohn! This past Saturday, I snuck away from the Shutters sidewalk sale to venture out into the Fair Haven townwide yard sale. 200 houses participating. Obviously, I could only go to a few and I'm so glad I did. As I approached house number 8 - I saw it - right.out.in.front! My thoughts - "No. It can't be?" "Why hasn't someone scooped that up?" "I bet its really expensive". Heart racing - I quickly pulled my car up and headed right towards it. Marked on masking tape was $10 ;-) (smiley face included). ONLY $10? Pottery Barn sells them for $99 - $279! I quickly paid and as I loaded her into the car I realized she was even full of treasures (shells, white seaglass, 2 ping pong balls and a little troll doll). Oh joy!

Here it is...

How big? See it next to Miss B...

Masking tape price tag...

View from top of demijohn...


Contents: lots of shells, white seaglass, 2 ping pong balls and troll doll...



Demijohns are hot in decor...




See top shelves...



Some "demijohn" information from Demijohns by Bob Parsons:

The purpose of the demijohn was for transport and storage of bulk liquids.

Most all demijohns were wrapped or encased in wicker to protect them from breakage during shipping.

Demijohns are bottles that have somewhat been ignored over the years and are now becoming popular especially as the colors and shapes become known. They are ideal focal points and attention grabbers for enhancing furniture and room settings. Like many other antique bottles placed on a table, shelf, or on a window sill they are very attractive. Interior decorators have shown interest and are starting to incorporate them in their business.

photographs: Pottery Barn, Coastal Living & Southern Living

No comments: